Cook job description
Cooks are responsible for preparing food items that have good taste and are presentable. Their duties are closely related with the methods of cooking and the usage of ingredients for each dish. These professionals also need to make sure that the kitchen and other related facilities are in hygienic conditions. They also refill materials used for cooking duties. In restaurants, these professionals follow orders of a chef, learning new methods of cooking thanks to his guidance.
Cooks usually perform many of the following tasks:
• Following chef´s orders.
• Managing resources efficiently.
• Learning new methods of cooking.
• Estimating food consumption.
• Making new recipes.
• Having knowledge of health hazards in food preparation.
• Being able to multitask.
• Having knowledge of methods, materials, and equipment.
• Being creative.
• Having interpersonal skills.
• Being able to take inventory and keep records.
• Having math skills.
• Being able to work for long hours.
• Having supervisory methods.
• Being able to assign work to a staff.
Persons who want to be Cooks are required to have a High School Education plus on-the-job training for this area. There are cooking courses and programs offered by high schools, adult education programs, colleges, and vocational or technical schools. Courses of this sector last from two months to two years. Most employers of this business only hire applicants having a Cooking Diploma. Some professionals start working as kitchen helpers and dishwashers in order to gain suitable experience to move forward to higher positions.
Top Location for Cook:
- Atlanta, GA (232)
Related Job Descriptions
Find here job descriptions related to Restaurant and Food Service
Users who search for Restaurant and Food Service might also be interested in:
Top Companies hiring now:
The most popular companies hiring now Cook are
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store (1,081)
- Olive Garden (773)
- Longhorn Steakhouse (605)
- Applebee'S Neighborhood Grill & Bar (552)
- Boston Market (456)